'The Color of Water' by McBride

Sunday, January 4, 2015

I just finished reading James McBride’s memoir and piece dedicated to his mother, The Color of Water. A friend had recommended this book to me for years, and I finally picked it up for the Christmas break. I am so glad that I did!

McBride also wrote The Good Lord Bird, winner of the National Book Award for 2013, which I highly recommend to history nuts or lovers of historical fiction.

Raised orthodox Jewish and an immigrant to America from Poland, McBride’s mother flees from her oppressive family structure in the South to get lost and find a future in the bustle of New York City in the 1930s and 40s. A white woman, she marries an African American man who introduces her to the Christian faith. Together, they build the foundation for a remarkable family. Twelve siblings comprise the household in which McBride is raised in New York. Living meal-to-meal, day-by-day, McBride's family is fueled by his mother’s resolve, nonstop movement, and incredible strength. Her wit and McBride's honest reflections string together this tight narrative that will have you instantly hooked.

I recommend this book to everyone who loves a good story, and also exploring the many angles of racial identity in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment